Office of Financial Aid


Welcome to Office of Financial Aid!

Making the decision to choose SBU is very important and how much it costs is usually part of the decision. We're here to help!

The Office of Financial Aid gives financial assistance and support to students attending SBU.
If you have any question regarding financial aid, please feel free to contact a Financial Aid Officer
by phone (714-533-1495 extension 243) or by email ( 

How to apply for FA


Student Aid Eligibility

New students can visit for information and reference


New Students

Qualified students admitted to the Master’s degree program or Doctoral degree program are eligible for Federal Student Aid to assist with educational costs. Qualified new students must complete each of the following:.

 1.   First, apply for a FSAID from the U.S. Department of Education at

2.   Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at
    * SBU school code is 025973.



1. Students entering the MSAOM degree program with at least 90 quarter units (60 semester units) are classified as undergraduate students and meet one of the following criterions:

a. A total number of credits earned at SBU including transfer credits are less than 120 quarter units without a Bachelor's degree. OR

b. A total number of credits earned at another accredited institution of higher education are less than 200 quarter units without a Bachelor’s degree.

2. Students entering the MSAOM degree program as a graduate student meet one of the following criterions:

a. A total number of credits earned at another accredited institution of higher education with more than 200 quarter units without a Bachelor’s degree. OR

b. Earned a Bachelor’s or higher degree.

3. After your information has been process, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), usually within three weeks from the submission date of FAFSA. Carefully review the SAR to ensure all information is accurate. Read any comments to determine any further actions. Be sure to retain your SAR with all other financial aid records. SBU will receive a similar report directly from the U.S. Department of Education.

4. All new students must complete a Loan Entrance Counseling prior to the receipt of the first loan fund disbursement. Loans will not be process until the Financial Aid Office has received confirmation on the completion of the Loan Entrance Counseling sessions.
Please access the to complete Entrance Counseling.
Select "Complete Entrance Counseling", you will select this on 2 separate pages of the website. Choose "Undergraduate Student" or "Graduate Student”, and proceed with the Entrance Counseling session.

5.  Please complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN).
Note: A Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a loan agreement between you and the student loan lender. By signing the MPN, you are agreeing to repay your loans under the terms of MPN. The first time you obtain a loan at SBU, under and any federal loan programs, you will be required to complete a MPN. The MPN will serve as a promissory note for all future loan programs while enrolled at SBU.
Please vsist the to complete the MPN.
In order to expedite the processing of your financial aid, please complete the above steps in a timely manner, read instructions carefully, fill-out forms completely, and respond to inquiries as promptly as possible.


Continuing Students

Stafford direct loans are process every three quarters. It's important for students to keep record of your financial aid award and be aware of the next quarter application due date. The FA Office will make every effort to notify students with the time to reapply, but do not depend on the FA office.





Federal Student Aid (FSA) offers grant and loan programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education. South Baylo University participates in the following grants and loans available through Federal Student Aid.

Federal Grants

Pell Grants – Undergraduate Students Only

Pell grants are awarded solely on demonstrated financial need to every eligible undergraduate level student.

The duration of Pell Grant eligibility will be implemented through the calculation of a percentage value called the Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU). A student’s LEU is the sum of each of the percentages of the student’s scheduled award that was actually disbursed to the student for each award year. The calculation of the duration of a student’s eligibility included all years of the student’s receipt of Pell Grant funding. A student is NO longer eligible for Pell Grant funds once the student’s LEU reaches 600%. This change in the duration of student’s Pell Grant eligibility is not limited only to students who received their first Pell Grant on or after the 2008-2009 award years, as the HEA previously provided when the duration of eligibility was 18 semesters. For more information, please visit


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program is for undergraduates who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFCs) will be considered first for a FSEOG.

Funds are limited so students are encouraged to apply for FSEOG early and provide all necessary documents in a timely manner. SBU will allocate funds, basis on the availability of funds, over the course of the year.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) is a federal financial aid program that provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students. Jobs are available both on and off campus. In order to qualify for FWS, you must apply for financial aid and provide documented financial need.

The Federal Work Study program earnings are excluded when a student reapplies for financial aid. Thus FWS earnings do not affect future financial aid eligibility however, FWS earnings are taxable.

Direct Stafford Loans

Direct Stafford Loans, from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program, are low-interest loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, or trade, career, or technical school. Eligible students borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education.

Direct Stafford Loans include the following type of loans:

•       Direct Subsidized Loans - Direct Subsidized Loans are for students with financial need. The financial aid office will review the results of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSASM) and determine the amount you can borrow. You are not charged interest while you're in school at least half-time, during grace periods, and deferment periods.

•       Direct Unsubsidized Loans - Students are not required to demonstrate financial need to receive a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Like subsidized loans, the financial aid office will determine the amount you can borrow. Interest accrues (accumulates) on an unsubsidized loan from the time it's first paid out. You can pay the interest while you are in school and during grace periods and deferment or forbearance periods, or you can allow it to accrue and be capitalized (that is, added to the principal amount of your loan). If you choose not to pay the interest as it accrues, this will increase the total amount you have to repay because you will be charged interest on a higher principal amount.

Additional loan types provided under the Direct Loan Program include Direct PLUS Loans (for parents and graduate and professional degree students) and Direct Consolidation Loans (to combine federal education loan debts into a single loan).


Cost of Attendance (COA)

    The Cost of Attendance (COA) is an estimate costs to attend South Baylo University.

Estimate Cost of Attendance at SBU per Academic Year




Tuition, Fees, and
Internship fees (12 units)



Books and Supplies



Room and Board






Personal/ Miscellaneous



Total Budget



Tuition and Fees: The average cost of tuition and fees for is based on enrolling 30 hours per year. The actual costs will vary depending on the student’s degree or certificate program.

Room and Board: A reasonable estimate in the cost of living in Orange County or LA County while attending school. Actual cost may vary by individual choices related to location and circumstances. Typically room and board includes rent, food, snacks, household supplies, and utilities.

Books and Supplies: The average cost of books and supplies for an entire academic year includes books, educational supplies, course materials, and computer-related expenses excluding the purchase of a personal computer.

Transportation: Represents travel to and from residence and transportation costs to and from class and work (e.g., bus fare, gasoline, tolls, parking).

Personal Expenses and Miscellaneous: Estimate of costs for clothing, haircuts, entertainment and other miscellaneous expenses.  


Loan Counseling

Entrance Counseling

Entrance Counseling is required before you receive your first Stafford or Grad PLUS loan at SBU. In your Entrance Counseling session, you will learn about the types of loans that are available, the terms and conditions for the loans, and your responsibilities related to the loans. This information is provided to ensure you fully understand your loan obligation before you are committed to receiving the loan funds. Complete your Entrance Counseling.

Exit Counseling

Exit Counseling is required before you leave SBU by graduating, withdraw, or failing to return for a subsequent quarter. In the Exit Counseling session, you will learn to prepare repaying student loans and consider debt management strategies. This information is provided to ensure you understand repayment options and prepares you for payments that will be required on your loans. Complete your Exit Counseling.




Veterans Service

    Veteran's Administration of Educational Benefits

    The University's programs are approved for the training of veterans and eligible individuals under U.S. Code Title 38. Any honorably discharged veteran of the US Armed Forces is eligible to receive educational benefits by submitting an application from the Veteran's Representative (Financial Aid Officer) located in the Financial Aid Office. Rules and regulations associated with this type of educational benefit are also available for students' review.

Applications for veteran's benefits are available at the Financial Aid Office.

For additional information, please contact the VA office at toll-free number (888)442-4551 or visit the VA website:



Many veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for education benefits program.

Apply for Benefits

Veteran Affairs (VA) students must file an application for Certificate of Eligibility (COE).  Students who haven’t received VA benefits before must file an original application (veterans VAF 22-1990; dependants VAF 22-5490).  Students who have received VA benefits before must file a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (veterans VAF 22-1995; dependents VAF 22-5495).

How will you submit your application?

1.  You can use the VONAPP Veterans Online Applications to fill out and submit your application at

2.  You can submit a paper application called Form 22-1990 by mail to the VA Regional Processing Office.  You can mail the form to the region of your home address.  It will make it easier for the VA to determine what benefits you qualify for if you send a copy of the following documents:

a.  Your certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD form 214) for all periods of active duty service.

b.  DD Form 2384, also known as the Notice of Basic Eligibility, if applying for the Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserves (chapter 1606).

c.  Copies of orders if activated from the guard/reserves.

d.  Supporting documents (e.g. vouchers, statements) for buy-up or buy-in contributions, which may allow you to make a small initial payment so that you can receive a higher monthly payment.

e.  College fund “kicker” contracts for additional monthly payments that you may receive from the Department of Defense through your branch of the Service.

If you have trouble with the application process, you can call a VA Education Case Manager (888-GIBILL).

I’ve submitted My Application:

Once you have finished and sent in your application, the Regional Processing Office will process the application and determine your eligibility.

Certificate of Eligibility:

Eligible students will be mailed a Certificate of Eligibility letter that describes their eligibility.  If you have received CEO, you can enroll in classes at the school any time.  Student must submit a Copy of the COE to the Financial Aid Office.

Tuition Policy

The tuition policy for the Veterans and Military Service members is that once a student has enrolled at the school, the financial aid officer will submit a Certificate of Enrollment to the processing office at the Department of Veterans Affair for tuition and fees which will be paid directly to the school.

Other benefits that student receive, like a monthly housing allowance, books and supplies stipend or rural benefit payment, will be paid directly to you through direct deposit to your bank account.


Return of Title IV Fund


Federal Financial Aid / Loans Policies


Rights and Responsibilities of Students on Financial Aid




Loan Calculators


Q: What are my responsibilities?


Q: When do I get my financial aid money for living expenses (credit balance)?

A: Student financial aid at SBU is normally disbursed in three equal payments per academic year. Disbursements are typically made by the third week of each quarter after the add and drop period. Financial Aid is posted to your tuition account and you will be notified in writing as to the details of any disbursement made to your account.

If a disbursement creates a credit balance on your account, SBU will issue you a check within 14 days of the posting and will notify you in writing that your check is ready for immediate pick up from the Fiscal Office.


Q: Who can apply for financial aid?

A: To be considered for financial aid, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be registered with Selective Service (if required)
  • Have financial aid need, (not required for some loans)
  • Have a high school diploma or GED
  • Cannot be in default on any educational loan
  • Do not owe a refund on a federal grant
  • Making satisfactory academic progress (see catalog for details)

Q: What circumstances can affect my aid eligibility?

A: The following is a list of circumstances that can have a serious effect on your aid eligibility:

  • You withdraw from all of your classes
  • You drop from full-time status (12 or more units)
  • You drop below half-time status (less than 8 units)
  • Failure to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress as stated in SBU catalog

Q: How is financial aid determined?

A: Financial aid is based on demonstrated financial need. This is determined by taking the Cost of Attendance (COA) at SBU and subtracting the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is generated by the information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and is verified by a federal income tax return and/or agencies providing non-taxable income.  


Useful FA Links

    Financial Aid Applications

  • NSLDS Finding Your Loans [You will need your FAFSA PIN number]
  • Education-related Tax Information


FA Staff

The financial aid office is located at the Anaheim campus.

Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 am-6:00 pm
Financial Aid Officer information:

Ms. Mimi Park
1126 North Brookhurst Street,  Anaheim, CA 92801      (714) 533-1495 ext. 243


Download SBU Financial Aid Brochure


SBU Financial Aid Brochure   (430kb)